Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did You Know? 3.0 and Mr. Winkle Wakes

The video posted on U Tube entitled, "Did You Know? 3.0 was very interesting to me. It listed so many facts that I was completely unaware of. Some of the information was not surprising to me and some was very surprising. I knew that India was well ahead of the United States when it came to education. I had no I idea in the rate of growth on the Internet. Google is certainly dominating much of that growth.
It is astonishing that as an educator today, I will be training and teaching children to do jobs that don't even exist. This puzzles me a bit. How are we to be prepared as educators? I really think this shows the importance of technology in the classroom and how imperative it is for educators to be educated themselves. With this being said, I was taken back to know that most computer majors will not need the information that they learned the first year of school by their third year because it will be outdated. This is a great example to show how important it is for educators to keep up with the exponential growth of technology.
Mr. Winkle Wakes, was a silly but meaningful description of how far the world has come over the past 100 years. It was very blatant in showing that we are surrounded by technology everywhere we go. Where would we be without it? Our population/ generation depends on it completely. I can hardly remember life without it.
On the other hand, this video also makes a huge statement about how technology fits into the school classroom. We as a society are very behind in filling our classrooms with technology. American children do not have the resources that they need to keep up with the growth of the Internet and technology in their classrooms. This must change. How can we train them for the future without the proper tools?

1 comment: