Monday, October 26, 2009

Dear Kaia

picture by Jabiz Raisdana




First of all I am completely surprised at the distance a father's curiosity has traveled. He went outside with his daughter, Kaia, after reading a book about the "The Last Child In The Woods" to take photographs. These were then posted on their blog page for family and friends to enjoy and suddenly he is skyping with a class in rural Missouri. The Internet never ceases to amaze me. It is a truly powerful tool.

I did read the post by Kaia's Dad on his concerns of posting pictures of his daughter on the Internet. I do agree with Mr. Chamberlain, this is a chance that we take, but all we have to do if we ever feel uncomfortable is block the page and turn the computer off.

This entire ensemble of events is a great example of how we can learn from anyone, anywhere in the world. I love the fact that Mr. Chamberlain's students made a video for Kaia and her father skyped with his class to answer their questions. This was everyone learning together.

If you would like to view Kaia's blog click here.

3 comments:

  1. This Dad's love for his daughter is so evident. You can tell he treasures her. I'm so glad to see a teacher who is very concerned about the down side of putting students out for the world to critic. Kaia's dad even asked himself if he should keep her a secret. As a parent, I understand his point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Internet never ceases to amaze me. It is a truly powerful tool." You are correct. Be prepared with comments and questions when Kaia and her father Skype us next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Deidra. His love for Kaia is very evident. It is amazing as to how all this has traveled Stephanie. Though I am still amazed at how he has put her out there for all to see. It is both amazing and scary to me at the same time.

    ReplyDelete