Monday, November 9, 2009

Whatever

www.wordle.net

I understand where Michael Wesch is coming from in his ideas about the "American Idol" effect. On the other hand, I love the entertainment of it all. It does not scare me to have my videos on U Tube, why should it? I agree that some people just want to have a voice. I think that some of the media may link and connect us as a society. My math instructor has posted instructional videos on U Tube. These videos have helped students around the world pass their math class.

Are there some people out there that use media as a search for identity and recognition? Yes, I am sure of it. I think that we have to be careful what we fill our minds and thoughts with, "Everything with reservation". But, I totally agree that society has transformed a whole new language. It is the language of technology. I have seen "Charlie, bit my finger", and understand the "spoofs" of it. I think it is funny? No harm in that.....Whatever!


Click here to view the video by Michael Wesch.

2 comments:

  1. Two comments - first about your comment on Jessica' DeBose's post about Kaia. You say: "I agree that it was very amazing. The only thing is that not all children have access to technology like this little girl with parents who are willing to teach."

    What are we to do when our students A) don't have access to technology and b} don't have parents who care about learning (I have perhaps altered your meaning a bit?
    Do we wait until these conditions have been met to teach and/or use technologies?
    Do we try and change the conditions facing he students?
    Do we supply technologies with public monies? create substitutes for non-caring parents?

    Theses are difficult questions, and people/teachers/administrators/voters/school boards handle them differently.

    But what do YOU do?

    Second comment - on this post.
    Dr. Wesch is not attacking YouTube or having fun. He is using YouTube to argue that our culture has become flawed i many ways. But he also holds out hope that the new kinds of conversations spawned by the new media my help us achieve a culture of caring. What do you think about his argument? Is is just a hope, just wishful thinking? Or is there some chance he could be correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First Response- As an educator of children who may not have access to technology, I will first seek public funding for technology in my classroom. Secondly, I would do fundraising to raise money for technology. Lastly, I will provide the technology at my own expense. I am becoming a teacher because I love children and the possiblities that they can achieve and acquire. I don't work now and will only work when my own children enter school to help contribute to the children of our future. Yes, money is great, but if I have to give some of it back to my class, so be it. It's just money. I can make more... Secondly the topic of non caring parents, as a foster parent, I am used to dealing with this subject. I will have to influence and teach all I can to these children in the short time that I have them. If I don't reach all of them, I can certainly plant a seed or maybe even a love for technology and learning. A seed that maybe one day they can come back to. I don't think we can change the current conditions that each of our students may be facing economically (frankly, the problem is way to large, institutionally speaking). I can certainly do my very best to instill the value of education and determination.


    Second Response-
    I did not think that Dr. Wesch was attacking or making fun of You Tube. I guess my response came accross a bit more scarcastic than I meant for it to. As to his hope for a culture of caring spawned by new media, maybe this is a possiblity. I still think that caring is such a personal thing. Yes, is can be demonstrated and expressed via media but, is much more effective when made on personnal and in person note.

    ReplyDelete